I am looking for an enthusiastic and experienced legal and policy advisor to join my team in the European Parliament. You will be a vital part of my work as an MEP by giving me and my team accurate and timely advice on various legal matters and policy development.
You will advise on matters within the JURI committee and be responsible for supporting my work as a coordinator in JURI. You will furthermore take part in collaboration with other colleages in the Renew Europe Group.
Some of your competences, qualifications, or experience
- Strong analytical and policy skills, particularly within the main competences of the JURI committee. Knowledge on various digital rights issues an asset.
- Degree in law, political science, EU studies, or other fields of studies relevant to the scope of the JURI committee.
- Experienced in writing formal legal text, such as creating written and oral questions to the Commission, writing amendments to legislative proposals, or writing legislative reports.
- Able to articulate policy in clear and accessible language.
- Expert knowledge and experience of the workings of the European Parliament, especially committee work, both in practice and theory.
- Familiar with the Renew Europe Group and the workings of a political group on the European Parliamentary level.
- Willing to travel for work. This includes traveling for sessions in Strasbourg and for Group related activities, such as party congresses.
- Being able to thrive in a fast-paced working environment, where no two days are the same.
- Advanced fluency English. Knowledge of Danish, French, or German would be an advantage, although not a requirement.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
- Support me as the Renew Europe coordinator in JURI committee.
- Close cooperation with the JURI policy advisors of Renew Europe and the JURI commitee secretariat of the Parliament.
- Provide accurate and timely briefings, talking points, and advise on on JURI related policy as well as state of play of current files the JURI committee is working with.
- Advise and assist other members on my team on various legal and policy issues that are within your area of expertise.
- Support and follow the overall strategy we as a team will develop including support of the other team members as necessary.
- Attend group meetings and on occasions, meetings for the political group outside of the Parliament.
Working hours, location and salary
Full time (37 hours per week) with flexible working hours. On rare occasions you may be called to work evenings or weekends. Place of work will be Brussels with regular missions to Strasbourg (plenary sessions) and Denmark. Salary is according to MEP assistant grade system. Grade placement according to experience and education.
How we will work as a team
You will be a part of a vibrant and multinational team which consists of chief of staff and digital policy advisor, political and communication advisor, and an administrative assistant. There will also be interns, one for policy and one for communication.
Transparency, accountability and integrity are essential as the basis for any public office, including the office of an MEP.
There will be no tolerance for discrimination or harassment inside of the office or towards external partners. As my head of office you will be responsible to ensure that this policy is upheld by the entire office.
Equal opportunities and rights for all are what we will be working towards in society, and our office will aim to reflect this. The more inclusive we are, the better our results will be. I want to celebrate diversity and I am committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. I hope, if you are a member of a historically marginalized group, that you will consider applying.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with “Job Advert Inquiry” in the subject line.
Please apply by this form here by the 30th of November. We will be processing the applications as we receive them and inviting successful candidates for interview. We hope that you will be able to start working with us in January 2020.
This post is also available in: Dansk