Foreign policy professional with an academic background in law. More than 7 years of experience working in the political systems of the EU, Denmark, UK and France. Experience in organising and managing teams and collaborative efforts. An early adopter of social media as a professional tool and recognized by peers and researchers as a proficient user with significant experience.
Stabilisation and Security Policy Department (1 September 2012 – present)
Head of Section (non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (biological, chemical and nuclear))
- Coordinating Danish policy, strategy and communication on non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
- Leading taskforce to reform and incorporate social media in communication of Department.
Danish Embassy in the UK(1 May 2009 – 1 September 2012)
First Secretary, Political and European Department
- Responsibility for Climate and Energy, Transport, Agriculture and Fisheries, Middle East and North Africa, Africa, South East Asia and Development dossiers.
- Building networks with UK Government, press, parliamentarians, political parties, NGOs, think tanks and civil society organisations.
- Planning, execution and media engagement for visits to the UK by Danish ministers and officials.
- Responsibility for communications and online engagement of the Embassy.
- Key role in crisis communication during the UK riots in August 2011, and regarding a reported Danish Marmite ban went “viral” in UK media
Managing a team of 5 people.
Skills gained: Social and mainstream media engagement. Balancing multiple and complex projects. Events management.
Trade Policy Department, Danish Foreign Ministry (June 2006-December 2007)
- Leading coordination process of Danish positions on trade policy incl. with civil society.
- Responsible for intellectual property rights and anti-dumping for EU and WTO negotiations incl. trade assistance for Danish companies with difficulties with foreign administrations in these areas
- Writing national strategy for increased Danish engagement with emerging economies, and national strategy for protection of copyright.
- Responsible for team of trainees/students.
Skills gained: Negotiation on WTO and EU procedures on trade policy and disputes.
Consular Department, Danish Foreign Ministry (June-August 2006)
- Managing crisis communications during the emergency evacuation of Danes in Lebanon during the Israel-Lebanon crisis (summer 2006).
Skills gained: Innovative communication to people in vulnerable situations.
Middle East and North Africa Department (October 2005 – February 2006),
- Cartoon Crisis:Monitoring and reporting on developments management. Drafting official online response to rumours and untruths.
- Part of 3 person coordination team responsible for cooperation between Danish authorities and the Iraqi organisation team for Iraqi parliamentary out of country voting.
Skills gained: Understanding of Denmark’s relations with the Muslim world. Crisis communication and issues management.
European Policy Department, Danish Foreign Ministry (August 2005 – June 2006)
- Institutional affairs.
- Running EU concours communications campaign and training course.
Legal Service, European Commission (October 2004 – February 2005)
- Undertaking legal research for WTO cases on antidumping and subsidies, European Customs Legislation in relation to WTO-case re. GATT article X.
- Product Liability and State Aid cases before the ECJ, and evaluating Commission financial decisions
Skills gained: Understanding the internal decision procedures in the European Commission and the relations between institutions.
Permanent Representation of Denmark to the EU(September 2003 – January 2004)
- Preparing COREPER and Council meetings on Justice and Home Affairs and reporting on the proceedings to relevant ministries in Copenhagen.
- Monitoring and reporting on activities in Committee for Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs in the European Parliament
Skills gained: Extensive understanding of the interrelationship between EU institutions and the political environment in Brussels.
Academic Advisor for ELSA Moot Court Competition on WTO Law. (September 2006 – June 2008)
External Lecturer on EU law for undergraduate students. (September 2009 – February 2010)
Joint Master of Public Administration and Communication, CELSA-ENA (December 2007 – May 2009) Professional qualifications while working for Danish Foreign Ministry
Master’s degree in Public Institution Communication CELSA, University of Paris – Sorbonne.
Political and public communication and theories of information, communication and sociology. Public relations and relations with the press, and qualitative and quantitative studies. Master’s thesis: Comparative analysis of social media in public diplomacy of UK, France and Denmark.
International diploma in public administration Ecole Nationale d’Administration (ENA)
Course consists of two modules: Europe (European Affairs) and Territoires (Regional Affairs), and two placements, covering the legal, financial and economic issues relevant to each administrative level in France, as well as in depth courses on negotiation, communication strategy and crisis management. 5 month placement at Ville de Marseille: Mapping of municipal facilities to better coordinate municipal services. Effective use of municipal resources, rejuvenation of municipal projects, Marseille European Capital of Culture 2013. 4 month placement at Secrétariat Général des Affaires Européennes (SGAE). Civil law cooperation in EU in Justice and Home Affairs department.
Cand.Jur. (Master of Laws), University of Copenhagen (September 2002 – November 2005)
University of Copenhagen, Denmark (February 2004 – December 2005)
ERASMUS exchange, Faculty of Law of University of Aix-Marseille, France (Sept 2002 – July 2003)
Master thesis on WTO and the EU Generalised System of Preferences: The Enabling Clause, Exceptions and Conditionality.
BA in Law, University of Copenhagen (September 1999– July 2002)
IT and Communication Skills
Fully proficient in all regularly used office software as well as professional use of social media. Experienced in developing and executing communication strategies. Basic knowledge of website design, development and maintenance. Active profiles on various social media, esp. using twitter (@karmel80) professionally. Key role in crisis communication including live TV appearances during the UK riots in August 2011, and when a Danish Marmite ban was reported in UK/world media.
Mother tongue Danish, Near-native speaker level English, fluent French, basic Arabic.
This post is also available in: Dansk